Pubs and restaurants in Leicester could be closed for another two weeks due to an increase in coronavirus cases, the city’s mayor said.
Sir Peter Soulsby said the government recommended that the current restrictions be maintained for another two weeks.
Sir Peter told the Today program that the government did not suggest “a return to the blockade”, but to maintain current measures beyond July 4.
On Sunday, the interior secretary said the city was facing a possible local blockade.
Speaking to BBC Radio 4, Soulsby said he received an e-mail from the government overnight.
“What they are suggesting is not a return to the blockade. It appears that they are suggesting that we continue the current level of restriction for another two weeks after July 4,” he said.
“This is very different from the dramatic blockade in Leicester that was being reported over the weekend.”
However, he criticized the report as “superficial” and said that “it does not provide us with the information necessary to remain restricted for two weeks longer than the rest of the country”.
Soulsby later told LBC that a meeting between local and government officials planned for this morning had been canceled.
There have been 866 cases reported in the city in the past two weeks.
Speaking at Sunday’s Andrew Marr Show, Patel said he had talked to Health Secretary Matt Hancock about a possible local blockade, and that “extra support” would enter the area.
“With local crises, it is certain that we have a local solution,” she said.
The Health Department said that four mobile test sites and thousands of home test kits have already been shipped to Leicester.
Leicester East MP Claudia Webbe called for a blockade due to a “perfect storm” of poverty, positive tests and greater ethnic diversity.
She said, “I don’t know why they don’t impose a blockade – the evidence suggests that there should be one.”