North Korea attacked the Biden government as it prepares to reveal its strategy for dealing with Pyongyang and its nuclear program.
The Foreign Ministry said that recent comments from Washington showed that President Joe Biden intended to maintain a “hostile policy”.
Earlier this week, Biden called North Korea’s nuclear program a “serious threat” to global security.
The White House says it plans to take a “calibrated” approach to North Korea.
Spokesperson Jen Psaki said on Friday that a review of US policy had been completed and suggested that Biden learned from the experience of the four previous governments that had unsuccessfully tried to get North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons program.
“Our policy will not focus on achieving a big bargain, nor will it rely on strategic patience,” she said, saying that the United States would instead seek a “practical, calibrated approach that is open and will explore diplomacy” with North Korea. in making “practical progress” in increasing security for the United States and its allies.
The US is expected to receive national security advisers from Japan and South Korea for a discussion of the review soon.
In a statement released to state media on Sunday, the North Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs called President Biden on his nuclear program – in a speech to Congress this week – “intolerable” and a big mistake “
“His statement clearly reflects his intention to maintain the application of hostile policy towards the DPRK [North Korea], as has been done by the United States for more than half a century,” said Kwon Jong-gun, of the US Department of Foreign Affairs Ministry. .
A separate statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that previous comments criticizing North Korea’s human rights situation insulted the dignity of leader Kim Jong-un and showed that the United States is “preparing for a total confrontation”.
Biden said in a joint session of Congress, marking his 100 days in office, that North Korea’s nuclear program, along with Iran’s, poses “serious threats to American security and the security of the world”.
He added: “We will work closely with our allies to address the threats posed by these two countries through diplomacy and also through strong deterrence.”
It is unclear what comments on human rights the Pyongyang statement refers to, but the Washington Post reports that the White House is expected to appoint a special human rights envoy in North Korea soon.
Washington says it has been trying to make diplomatic contact with North Korea since mid-February.
He downplayed tests of short-range missiles from the North last month, saying it was “normal military activity” and “business as usual”.
So far, Pyongyang has not recognized Joe Biden as the new president of the United States.
Biden called Kim a “thug” during his election campaign and said North Korea’s nuclear disarmament needed to happen before the imposing economic sanctions imposed by the United States and the UN could be relaxed.
Just before Biden took office, Kim delivered a speech in which he described the United States as his country’s “greatest enemy” and announced ambitions to expand its nuclear arsenal. But he also added that he did not “rule out diplomacy”.
Biden’s predecessor Donald Trump became the first president of the United States to speak directly to Kim – meeting him three times. However, they were unable to reach any agreement to end the nuclear weapons program or sanctions.